Saturday, June 19, 2010

It was Fathers Day, 1984, when I heard that voice in the hallway. My heart stopped. He's here? I dropped the basket of laundry and hurried up the stairs, stupidly straightening my clothes and smoothing down my hair. Our eyes met, wordless communication. His steel green eyes implored forgiveness. “Take me back,” they said. Could I forgive? He'd been gone for almost a year. “I need some space,” he'd said. I hadn't said anything, just let him go. But I'm a practical person, and I had not just myself to consider. Ok. I smiled, took him by the hand, and tugged him into the nursery. “Meet your son.”


This is a Saturday Centus tale. Can you finish an ultra-short story in 100 words or less? If that sounds like fun, head on over to the fab Jenny Matlock for more detailed instructions. (The starter prompt is in bold italics.)

16 comments:

Kim Lehnhoff said...

Father's Day, indeed.

Not sure I could be that forgiving...but I totally get the "being practical" thing.

Martha said...

Tina -- if you want a flock of flamingos -- the Tourism Committee can probably work you a deal!!! (BIG GRIN)

Kat said...

Clever twist! It's amazing how much story can be gleaned from so few words. Nicely done! Kathy

Bookie said...

Good twist with the father being a husband.

Brian Miller said...

oh snap...meet your son...you sure are great at these...

cj Schlottman said...

A very forgiving woman, this. Not sure I could would give him another chance. But most important of all, it's very well written!

steveroni said...

I thought you were heading into a "Meet my new husband" situation...maybe even MORE shocking?

Good story, Tina, well constructed. One day I'll try this. It might be more fun that the Friday "55". But so far I can only write what I am doing..how selfish!

PEACE

Viki said...

I wasn't expecting that. Great job for Father's Day having it be the missing dad.

Susan Anderson said...

Not sure I'd trust that guy as far as I could throw him, but I guess I can live with her giving him a chance...

(See, you got me involved!)

;)

easternsparkle said...

How forgiving! I could feel the excitement tho' as you introduced him to his son - well done!

Cheryl said...

Loved the ending. Great job this week.

People Who Know Me Would Say: said...

Very well written. It does make the reader consider whether they would be so forgiving.
I fear I would not.

Vicki/Jake said...

True memories here? Sounds like my past...
What a great way to take the prompt this week.

jfb57 said...

Wow! Such a great ending! Lovely!

Christy said...

Hmm, haven't decided if I would forgive so easily. Love how you drew us all in.

Jenny said...

Forgive him, but don't forget. Watch your back, girl...and make sure yours is the only name on the checking account and...

What?

What do you mean this was a story?

Eegads.

I'm ashamed now cuz you really sucked me in!

Fantastic use of the prompt.