Monday, October 14, 2013

Let's Get Comfortable

Let's get comfortable. I'm not feeling well (big surprise there...) and thought I'd share some of the ways that I try to make myself feel better and/or distract myself from the misery of a nasty respiratory infection (or whatever the ailment du jour might be.)

Pajamas. I have an old, faded set of pj's that I just adore. They were a big splurge on a snowboarding trip with my Amazing Aunt Risky. My favorite color, turquoise, with bears on them. And they came with a TANK TOP and long pants. Perfect for me who's always too hot, but wants the coziness of pants that are too long. I even have matching socks. Aaahh...

Pillows. I'm fairly high maintenance when it comes to pillows. I sleep on a tempurpedic cooling gel pillow, hugging a very old and broken down tempurpedic squishable pillow, with another pillow over my head. It's not really a pillow anymore, it's a bag of tangled rags after having been washed throughout its life, which as far as I can remember goes back to elementary school. But for lazing around in bed when you're sick, nothing beats my sleep number “rest and relax” pillow. On one side, it's just slanted, but on the other, it has a section of those tiny little beads right where your back goes. It's perfect for sitting up in bed and having the exact right back support.

Food. When I'm feeling lousy, I turn to soup. We usually have something homemade in the freezer, in two serving portions. Very convenient for melting when needed. I also have a thing about New England clam chowder. I'm still searching for the perfect store-bought version, but nothing compares to the seafood chowder at my favorite restaurant. Hmm...maybe it's a take-out kinda day...I can also wistfully dream about THE best clam chowder EVER, which was (surprisingly) at a hotel restaurant. OK, it was Seattle, but I've never found airport hotel food all that memorable. Until then.

Entertainment. Nothing comforts like an old movie. Also good for when I inevitably fall asleep watching it. I know how it turns out! Some of my go-to movies include Bull Durham, Devil Wears Prada, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Star Trek (JJ Abrams'), Dangerous Minds, Pretty Woman, Runaway Bride, Love Actually, A Love Song for Bobby Long, The Big Chill, Princess Bride, Big Night, Hunger Games, Miss Congeniality, The Proposal, and Juno. I never get tired of them – it's like playing a favorite album.

Activities. As few as possible. And a nap on the schedule for sure.



What do you do when you're sick or just down and out (or both?) What are your go-to movies?


~Tina

20 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Lots of movie watching. The Princess Bride would be high on that list. And nothing beats an old t-shirt and lounge pants. Underwear optional. (It is my house, after all!)

Unknown said...

I feel for you.
I am a non pants person, but unlike Alex, I need my Underwear!
Movies, or music will get me through a tough time. When I feel under the weather books take too much concentration.

Anonymous said...

Hours of listening to Daniel O Donnell plus relaxation cds by Paul McKenna are a must. The sound of your pillow sounds good.
Hope you feel better soon.
Yvonne.

Hart Johnson said...

I wish you felt better!!!

I like to drink something warm, usually tea, and hunker down with a movie in blankies... I take baths, too--warm me through to my core.

Also a big fan of soup--a thick one, ideally just a little spice (ginger or curry or my husband does a fabulous Mexicanish stew with chiles and pork...

Lucy said...

Feel better soon :)

I love blankets and a soft robe and movies, or a good television marathon.

shelly said...

I hang out in bed with my jammies, pillows, and comforter. Pour myself a tall hot tea. Sleep. Read. Watch a ton of my favorite vampire and zombie movies.

Get better.

Hugs and chocolate,
Shelly

Jo said...

Hope you feel better soon Tina. I don't know what I do, I haven't been that kind of ill in years, thank God. Back aches or shoulder aches, pop a couple of pills and probably sit reading or doing something on the laptop. Bet you aren't using your CPAP at the moment???

Andrea said...

Sleep, sleep, sleep! Take care of yourself!

Anonymous said...

Feel better soon Tina! I love a nice soft blanket when I am sick!

JoJo said...

Oh wow, with every number I was like, 'Me too!!!' Although you also described many a rainy day too, when I don't have to be anywhere. I love my jammies!!!

Brian Miller said...

get some rest...stay in your pjs....fall asleep watching a good movie...hope you feel better soon...

Unknown said...

Hang in there! Hope you're feeling better soon! :)

Anonymous said...

Good pillows, good food, good flicks... you sure know how to relax, don't you? Guess that's cause you've had some practice with all your ailments and whatnot. Hope you're up on your feet again soon.


I'm glad I'm not the only one that requires three pillows to get comfy - I need a big squishy one to hug, too. I'm like Linus I guess. Lol.

Soup is my go-to comfort food, too. I'm a New England boy so I am all about chowdah - esp. on a cold/rainy day or when I'm sick)And of course it's gotta be NE style, I won't even touch that Manhattan crap - yuck!

If I'm bedridden all day I usually read books since I don't have a TV in my bedroom, but Bull Durham and Juno are two of my faves. And The Hunger Games ....yes, yes, YES! I love me some J-Law. Can't wait for Catching Fire - 5 more weeks! :-)



The Pedestrian Writer

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Tina .. if I'm ill I need to sleep and mostly do that; then I need to find the easiest thing to do without stress to mind, body, eyes or soul - and then repeat mode ...

I sincerely hope I don't get sick, sick ... and consider my health to be a blessing.

Thinking of you ... and hope you can find some relief somewhere along the way ...

Cheers Hilary

Anonymous said...

For clam chowder that doesn't taste like it comes from a can: Take a can of Campbell's New England Clam Chowder, add a good pat of butter, a half cup of sour cream and two tablespoons dill relish. Mush the potatoes up so they're not big chunks and heat. If you're really into the clams, add extras. Quick, easy and yummy.

LD Masterson said...

My Boston Red Sox pj's. Ice cream and/or hot tea. If my head doesn't hurt, a good book. Otherwise, I 'll try to sleep.

Feel better.

Rachel said...

My go to movies are Disney and I wear the shirt my boyfriend gave me, with comfy sweatpants. Showers also help me feel better because I feel less gross when I'm sick.

klahanie said...

Hi Tina,

It's good to know you do your utmost to make an uncomfortable situation more bearable by surrounding yourself with positive distractions.

I'm ill quite a lot these days. When I have the energy, I do find trying to be part of the interaction beyond my computer can help. That and a nice, warm blanket. Not forgetting Penny the Jack Russell dog and modest internet superstar. We can sit and watch the movie "Fluke" together.

Gary :)

Anonymous said...

Music soothes the soul. So does a good movie. And naps never hurt anyone, especially out in the fresh air when there's a nice gentle breeze. Sending "Get Well Soon" vibes your way!

Elizabeth Sara said...

I listen to music and watch Dr. Who. As for movies: I'd say a Harry Potter marathon!