Friday, October 4, 2013

Friday Fragments

Wow. I just looked through all my jot books (where I jot down blog post ideas, or quotes, or rants) and there's nothing there that I can turn into a whole post. I've used up all the ideas.

I remember when they were coming fast and furiously and I was constantly reaching for one of those three books that I had stashed in convenient places. Now I'm remembering WHEN I jotted those ideas. Prednisone. So that evil drug is good for at least one thing: creativity. Or maybe it's that I was spending a lot of time hiding from people so that I didn't bite their heads off and thus had time to think. And since it made me rather ADHD, I had lots of ideas bouncing all over the place.

Don't get me wrong. I have no desire to get back on prednisone. I just want some ideas to start flowing again. Meanwhile, here are some random things that won't make a whole post, but I feel like sharing anyway.

Ω Why is it that we get more excited about a song when it comes on the radio, or on Pandora, or our shuffle? I'm talking about songs that mean something to you, that you own and could play anytime you wanted. Yet you don't. Then when it comes on, you're thinking, “Oh wow, perfect song!”

Ω In the most bizarre coincidence I've experienced in a long time, Green Day's Good Riddance (Time of My Life) came on as I was writing that last paragraph. It's a very special song for many reasons, not the least of which is that The Transporter learned to play it on his electric guitar for me.

Ω Why does the school need a signed note from me about my child's absence if that same teacher was the one who sent him to the nurse because he was so visibly sick she thought he should go home?

Ω You know you've been helping your child with math way too late into the night if you end up dreaming that you have to calculate the volume of your lungs in order to breathe.

Ω If you are the lead car at an intersection with a left-turn arrow, it's YOUR responsibility to watch the light and GO when it turns green. Put down the phone and pay attention. Please.

Ω I've found that raising teenagers is challenging. Right now I'm wishing for fewer teachable moments...

Ω After talking to the nurse at my gastroenterology doctor's office yesterday, she said to make an appointment. “Tell them you're acute, so they can get you in faster.” Apparently acute means I can see them on November 13th.

Ω OYT quote of the day: “My body is a very uncomfortable place for my brain to live.” He was sick and trying to do homework.

Ω Movie quote of the day: “The world is made for people not cursed with self-awareness.” Name the movie.

What random thoughts are bouncing around your brain?


~Tina

18 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

People who talk on their cell phones while driving is just one of the reasons I want lasers mounted on the hood of my sports car.
Prednisone made me have weird dreams. No thanks.
And I think the quote is from Bull Durham.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Oh, and would telling them you were just plain cute make a difference?

Andrew Leon said...

I don't have random thoughts, only arbitrary ones.
And, yeah, I think you heard the nurse incorrectly. I think she said to tell the doctor you're cute.

You don't really want to know the answer to that first question, do you?

Unknown said...

I can relate to the Prednisone thing, from a spouses POV.
My wife has Lupus, and apparently steroids keep it in remission.

Love the list! I feel at home with a thousand ideas bouncing around.

JoJo said...

The music thing...that's so totally me. I crank the songs and get so stoked to hear them on the radio, yet I own the CDs and in many cases, also the vinyl version, but I don't play them at home.

Suzanne Furness said...

I love it when you suddenly hear a song you haven't heard in ages and think 'wow why didn't I listen to this earlier?'

Vanessa Morgan said...

Right now I have so many ideas for novels, short stories and blog posts that I can probably keep myself busy for the next ten years or so :)

Brian Miller said...

i think it is because those songs find us at serendipidous moments...when we needed the memories we attach to them...

and i imagine you can find something to write...smiles.just go for a walk...

Andrea said...

Eeek, I have the opposite problem right now in that I have too many ideas (or pieces of them) and too little will power to sit still and type them. Maybe the nurse said you should tell them you are CUTEQQQ

Michael Di Gesu said...

Hi, Tina.

Yup... get off that cell phone and make your turn already! Traffic is bad enough... I so agree...

Thoughts... Lots of posts for bloggers this month... Will I be able to create enticing intros to keep my reputation. LOL.

Have a great weekend.

D.G. Hudson said...

I keep lists of blogpost ideas, too. It works. I have post-it notes in lots of places too.

Music grounds us and for me, music can be a great reviver of memories. I know where I was, what I was doing when particular songs came out. Sort of a memory hook.

I kind of like Alex's idea of lasers on the hood of the car (for bad drivers of course. One dent for each infraction?) But, I could see that might get out of hand. . .

Annalisa Crawford said...

My Hubby plays a great version of Good Riddance - it's such a great song.

I hope you got the breathing calculations right :-)

Jo said...

I do so agree with Alex. It is totally against the law in Canada. I know what you mean about writing down blogging ideas, I used to do the same, lately I haven't written anything down.

Hubby does that with movies, wants to watch them on TV when we have the DVD or cassette or something.

Arlee Bird said...

Me? Random ideas bouncing around my head? I should probably start doing posts like yours in order to do a brain dump.

Lee
Wrote By Rote

klahanie said...

Hey Tina,

My random thought is that my random thought is random. However, I shall jot down your posting and at this point, randomly leave a nonsensical comment.

Don't try to force the thoughts. Just let the flow, flow and you will know. Yes, I'm referring to your writing.

A good Sunday to you.

Gary :)

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Tina .. the Vikings are coming to the British Museum in the Spring .. you'd better come on over here - I have enough ideas for a few bloggers ... it hurts my brain!!

Great quotes .. Nov 13th - that's fast?

Well I'll be back to read the other older posts tomorrow ... cheers for now .. Hilary

Anonymous said...

Liking the randomness. =] Have you tried out Songza? Kind of like Pandora, but with NO STUPID COMMERCIALS!

LD Masterson said...

The quote sounds like Sherlock Holmes but I can't place it.

That song question is like when a movie comes on TV and you sit and watch it even though you own the DVD and could watch it anytime.